Tuesday 24 January 2012

Umdenken deutschen Kultur

Wow, week three has arrived. I feel like these weeks are flying by, leider! Ich bin nach Hause auf der S-Bahn gegangen, and I was thinking about how kind der Verkäufer was in the Converse Shop in Schwarbstraβe. I began thinking about the misconception of Germans, that they are rude and abrupt. This stereotype has been conjured up through the harsh sounding language they possess. I began thinking that Germans are culturally stereotyped in many ways which I have come to learn that they are the opposite. Although some of these stereotypes may be completely ridiculous, some stereotypes have proven true to me.
This first stereotype that I have mentioned is a relatively popular one. The fact that the Germanic language is harsh in tone makes ein Auslander think they are being rude or are just abrupt. However, this is untrue. I have found that most Germans are very friendly and willing to help. When speaking to a German here in Stuttgart I have found when they do not understand what you are asking they remain very friendly, despite their tone, which is surprisingly not always a reflection of their emotion, it is just how they speak.
The (visually) stereotypical German man is one in eine Lederhose mit einem Bart, is a lächerlich Stereotype. I have not seen EINS person with a funny, overly weird beard, nor have I seen the sale, purchase or wearing of a Lederhose in my three weeks of being here in Stuttgart.
The cultural stereotype of all Germans, or majority, being blonde-haired, blue-eyed too is a lächerlich stereotype. Die meinsten Deutschen in Stuttgart sind brünett und braune Augen. The stereotype of terrifying Germanic efficiency is partially true. The public transport is terrifyingly efficient, however, in the first week of university here in Stuttgart die Lehrer were disorganised and late to class. However, the city itself is efficient and works really well.
The stereotype of the German’s love for die Wurst, Sauerkraut und Bretzels ist das Stimmt. There are backeries everywhere are there are always people in them, the butchers are frequent and due Wurst can be found in many backeries. Sauerkraut I actually haven’t come across frequently, nor have I seen any hotdogs being sold mit Sauerkraut. Schade! I wouldn’t mind trying a hotdog mit Sauerkraut here in Stuttgart. Despite the density of the German food, obesity does not seem as common here, particularly in Germany. Which seems unusual to me, however, it has not got as many McDonalds as a few suburbs in Perth would have.
Rethinking about German stereotypes whilst being here in Germany, has really shed the light on how ridiculous and far-off some stereotypes can be whilst some others can be quite spot-on. Interessant!

1 comment:

  1. I was also quite surprised to see that most people in Stuttgart have braun hair and eyes. I'm really disappointed in the lack of sauerkraut mit wurst too. If you too enjoy wurst, make sure you try the 'stereotypical german cuisine' (a label I am sure many Germans are less than thrilled about) of currywurst. Das schmeckt mir!

    ReplyDelete