Wednesday 18 January 2012

A New Culture

The first week being here in Stuttgart has been an interesting experience of finding my feet and coming to terms with a new culture. Throughout my first week and a half here in Stuttgart, I have noted that there are a few similarities yet more differences of the culture and everyday life of my host country and Australia, more specifically Perth.

 My first impressions of both university campus’ were that: die Universität (Vaihingen campus) is mein Haus, aber die sonstige Universität ist mein Arbeitsplatz. I associate Vaihingen with my home suburb back in Perth, and associate the Stuttgart University with Crawley where I study. My first impressions of these two places have forced them into categories of a workplace and of a home.

It is really interesting to note the similarities of Stuttgart and Perth. One major similarity that I have come across is the grouping of people you see in different areas of the city, for example you see young, relatively rough looking teenagers hanging about the train stations. Other similarities include the same shops that we have at home are situated throughout Stuttgart, such as the Body Shop. I was shocked to see so much graffiti, but when comparing to home, it does not seem too extreme. I guess the graffiti raises questions about certain social issues amongst young people.

One major difference which still shocks me is that dogs are allowed to go pretty much anywhere, here in Stuttgart. On the train, in the shops or at a restaurant dogs are with their owners! Having a dog at some parks in Perth is either frowned upon or actually disallowed! I love the fact that dogs are allowed in the city and to be out with their owners, and the interesting thing is, is that I have not seen one dog misbehaving, you know what, I haven’t even heard a dog bark!

Public transportation here in Stuttgart is amazing. All types of people use public transport, and it never seems unsafe, because there are always a substantial amount of people on at a time. I think the public transport back home is not as good, due to the fact that more and more people are using private transport because of the distances they have to travel, the condition of a bus or train, and also because it is relatively expensive.

An interesting difference is the homeless population. I have come across quite a few homeless people. However, there is a system well developed, a machine which allows one to recycle their bottles and receive money. I have noticed many Obdachlose who have used this machine. I think this is an interesting system, my first impression of this system has been really positive.

The differences and similarities that I have come across have certainly received an interesting response, however, over the next few weeks I would like to see whether these first impressions remain as my opinion or if as time passes I come to another opinion.

Das ist alles von mir für dich!

No comments:

Post a Comment